Blog Journal #9

My experience with distance learning this semester has been quite challenging. I like the aspect of not having to go or be in a physical class, but I miss everything about actually being in a classroom. I dislike not being able to interact with other students in person and I really dislike having to try to work out group projects through distance learning. When I'm a teacher, something I can do to try to help improve the experience of distance learners is try to ensure class work load is not too much, and try to keep students engaged in lectures and participating. 

Open educational resources (OER) are resources that can be used and accessed by anyone for educational and learning purposes. I found an article (click for link) explaining OERs in the classroom and how they may be used in place of expensive textbooks. The article follows the journey of a math professor who realized just how expensive resources such as textbooks and access codes were, and wanted to look into more affordable, widespread options. It further goes onto explain how OERs can benefit everyone involved, including the students, instructors, and the educational institutions as a whole. 

After working on the two PowerPoint assignments, I have learned plenty of new PowerPoint tips and tricks. I had never known that you could voice record on slides, and I definitely knew nothing of slide master. Slide master was really revolutionary for me, as I was able to keep slides uniform and ensure that all the settings stayed the same. Along with that, I also learned about the action buttons, which will be great to use in my future classroom, making sure kids are able to follow the PowerPoint and lesson in the order I chose. 




Comments